Thursday, October 2, 2008

Picked Up The Caspian 1911 Frame


Tuesday I went to the gun shop, to ask what was going on. It had been over 2 months since the owner told me that he would order the frame. He called Caspian, and they said the frame had shipped the 26th. I said “okay,” and left. A couple hours later, just as I’m going in to work, my cell phone rings. It’s the guy from the gun shop. My frame came in.

What are the odds, that I wait 2 months, and it shows up less than 2 hours after I leave the shop?

This is what my life is like, folks.

So I picked up the frame yesterday. I had a little time to look it over and fondle it. I screwed on the buttons for chopping the frame for the beavertail. I think the grip safety will fit properly after I file the tips of the frame tangs down. I hope I don’t end up with this situation.

The humble beginnings. Yeah, I'm really building a pistol from a bare frame.

The Caspian Basic frame has an undercut trigger guard, and a modestly beveled mag well. I was hoping it wouldn't have a mag bevel, because I'll be using a magazine funnel, and the bevel won't look right until I get a milling machine or have a gunsmith blend the mag funnel.

After work, I put on every part that I could fit, without grinding or filing anything.


The undercut trigger guard can be seen in these pictures pretty well. This allows the middle finger to get a higher hold on the pistol frame. Coupled with the Chip McCormick high-ride beavertail grip safety, it will allow a very high grip for controlling recoil.

The trigger's not in the pictures because I need to file it before it will fit into the slot. The grip safety needs pretty extensive fitting, and isn't pictured. The plunger tube isn't fitted, because I haven't ordered it from EGW yet. The grip screw bushings were only loosely snugged to the frame, no red LocTite or staking yet.

Everything else fit pretty painlessly. Getting the sear, disconnector, and sear pin fitted into the frame properly is a pain in the butt though. I'll not be removing those parts any more than absolutely necessary.

I was pretty set on painting the frame black, until I'm satisfied with all the parts, the mag funnel is blended in, the fronstrap is checkered, and I'm sure that I'm not going to mess with it any further. Later, I would get it E-Treated or Melonite treated.

Seeing the parts assembled on the raw, grey, carbon steel frame, I'm thinking that I might have to change that plan and paint it grey. I dunno. Paint is cheap, fairly easy to apply, and comes off easy with chemical paint stripper, so it's not a real big deal either way.

No comments: