Friday, July 18, 2008

1911 Build Hits Snag


On Tuesday, I went into the local gun shop, and had the owner put in an order for a Caspian Government model frame from Midway. He said it would be a while before he knew what the shipping would run, but I didn't think much of it, and put down a $100 deposit.

Got a call from him today. Midway wants to charge over $60 to ship just a frame! Now, they do have to use overnight shipping to send a handgun across a state border, but last I checked, the cost was something like $28 plus tax.

So he's checking with Caspian, to see what they can do.

There are several things that could happen:
1. I could get lucky, and Caspian has a carbon steel Basic frame in stock, and I might actually save some money.
2. I eat the $60+ shipping charge from Midway, since the deposit is non-refundable, and continue as planned. So that's $175 for the frame, $60 for shipping, plus the transfer fee, and sales tax just for a stripped 1911 frame in the white.
3. I wait several weeks to get a frame from Caspian.
4. I order a Springfield G.I. 1911A1, strip everything off the frame, and end up with my Ultimate 1911, and have a box full of parts left over. Maybe I sell off some of the parts for less than they're worth.

No comments: