Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lauer DuraBake Paint Review

This stuff is advertised as being one of those wonderfinishes. The result I got was far short of wonderful.

I followed the directions on the can. I degreased the brass slug plug and mystery metal belt buckle, sprayed them, and put them in the oven for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.

The paint doesn't stick as well as Krylon spray paint, and it runs. Maybe it was because I had to move the parts while they were still wet to put them in the oven. Either way, runs are bad. It wasn't long at all before the paint was starting to wear off the hard edges of the plug and belt buckle. After carrying my G17 for about a week, the finish on the grip plug has gone from "matte black," to what is, at best, semi-gloss black.

Perhaps if I had abrasive blasted the parts, and baked them longer and hotter, the results would have been a little better, but I really doubt it.

I'll have to see if I can send whats left of the can back to Midway for a refund.

UPDATE:  I sent the can back to Midway, and they refunded me the full amount.

No comments: