Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Millet DMS-1 Scope Review


I’ve been surprised by the accuracy I’ve gotten out of the DMS-1.  With handloads, I’ve gotten a bunch of 1 1/8” ten-shot groups from a free-floated LMT M4 16”, even with the 6 pound stock trigger.  It may actually do better, but the barrel might not be able to do any better than that.  I wouldn’t have thought that you could do even that at 100 yards with just 4X.

Does the 1 MOA dot hold back bullseye accuracy?  Maybe not.

At least to my eye, the glass is very clear, without much distortion.  I was a little bit afraid that the scope would not be too bright, with the small objective lens, but it is actually very bright.  It holds a zero well too.  Compared to the red dot magnifiers, the eye relief is pretty good – I don’t get bumped in the glasses as much.  The spare battery compartment in the turret cap is a nice touch.  The reticle is useful without being as cluttered as some ranging reticles. 

At least in daylight, the scope works fine without battery power.  The reticle is quite visible without illumination until dusk really sets in.  With the illumination, you can stretch your shooting out even after it gets dark. . . as long as you can still make out the target.  The illumination knob goes all the way around, so you can go straight from 0 to 11.  Yes, the DMS-1 actually goes up to 11!

A spare battery is stored in one of the adjustment knob caps.  1 click of the knob moves P.O.I. 1/2" at 100 yards.

Negative points?  At 18 ounces, it’s heavier than some comparable scopes - the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 30mm scope only weighs 14.4 ounces.  If you want a bright reticle, like a red dot sight, in bright daylight, you will be disappointed, because the reticle will still just appear to be black.  The lens covers that came with the scope fell apart quickly (although the Butler Creek lens covers didn’t make it much longer).  With the magnification ring set at 1X, the scope actually seems to make objects appear smaller than with the naked eye – I seem to get true 1x with the magnification ring set at about 1.25X.  Makes me wonder what 4X really is.

I like the scope. . . for what it is.  Certainly, for the price, it is fantastic.  I’d just rather have an Aimpoint and a 3x magnifier.  You can read about the why of that in this article.

No comments: