Saturday, March 20, 2010

Best. . . Para TTR. . . Article. . . Ever 8P

I was trying to get a subscription to American Rifleman online, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it.  I did however discover a couple NRA publications that I didn't know existed.  One of them is Shooting Illustrated.

Getting to the point, Shooting Illustrated has an online article discussing the Para USA's TTR (Tactical Target Rifle).  You may remember, essentially the same rifle, being marketed as the Z-M Weapons LR-300.

The Shooting Illustrated article talks about the Delayed Gas Impingement action of the TTR, something I've never heard described.  There is a long gas block with a U-shaped channel.  The channel increases the distance for the propellant gasses to travel before having an effect on the bolt.  This increases the time between the firing pin hitting the primer, and the moment that the recoil impulse of the cycling action has any effect on the shooter.

Also news to me, is some discussion of the beefed up charging handle, and taller upper receiver.

Although I've read this part before, I'll repeat it for you, in case you haven't heard it before.  The Z-M Weapons/Para TTR bolt carriers have a much longer bolt carrier key than that of an AR-15.  The gas tube makes contact with the gas key out under the handguard, rather than inside the action, which keeps the action cleaner and cooler.

I'd really like to get my hands on a PARA TTR upper.  Although I'm not sure that this is the greatest thing ever, it's certainly an interesting path to take with the AR-15 platform.

Oh, and by the way, the Para TTR was the winner of the Golden Bullseye Award in the rifle category by Shooting Illustrated.

Para Ordnance Official Website
Direct Link To TTR Page on Para Ordnance Website

No comments: